Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Van Coke Kartel – Burn, 07.12.07

Those of you who may have read my previous reviews will know I have quite a thing for Francois van Coke….musically speaking of course. So even though no one else was keen for Burn, I wasn’t going to let the prospect of a solo voyage dampen my enthusiasm, and off I went.

Usually, there is an unwritten rule in Durban that if it rains, you should avoid going out at all costs. I haven’t quite figured out why yet, after spending the better part of 28 years living here. Is everyone made of sugar and afraid they’ll melt? I don’t know. Imagine my surprise then, when I arrived at Burn just before 11pm to discover it was so full I had to park in the Outer Hebrides and trek back through that damn rain. Luckily I don’t ever brush my hair anyway. Clearly the lure of Van Coke Kartel was strong for many people. Van Coke Kartel is comprised of Fokoffpolisiekar members Francois van Coke and Wynand Myburgh, as well as Justin Kruger on drums. This of course would explain the crowd at Burn, considering the cult following Fokoff enjoys. I did, however, feel quite bad for the guys occasionally, as there were a few (young) drunkards milling about who just kept screaming for Fokoff songs in a most annoying manner. The band did oblige with one or two songs but generally, and rightfully so, stuck to their new material. It is, of course, all in Afrikaans, and it’s quite clever of them they way they tend to play in notoriously English Durban when almal is op vakansie. My brain does operate on a bilingual footing to some extent but I think I would need to listen to the CD to properly appreciate the depth of the lyrics as she just wasn’t moving fast enough to catch on totally on Friday night. Never mind. It was still an outstanding performance and not even technical difficulties can detract from van Coke’s almost demonic charisma on stage. Much the same as with Fokoff, there are no wishy washy platitudes about this band, no metrosexual bullshit either. It’s all straight up punk rock with an attitude and beautifully discordant music to match. It’s the way music should be made – honest and fearless. I love it.

Alas, I did not think to take enough money with to buy the CD but I’m told it will be fairly easily available from major outlets. If you get a chance to see this band, leave your hang ups at home and prepare to get down and dirty with the masters of Afrikaans punk.

No comments: