Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Martin Rocka and the Sick Shop – Blues Room, 30.05.07

The last time I saw Martin Rocka and the Sick Shop was at the Wonderboom Greatest Hits CD launch two and a bit years ago. Let me tell you, the withdrawal symptoms were starting to affect my ability to function in my daily life. So despite the fact that they are playing in Durban in a few weeks time, I was very excited to discover that they would be playing when I just happened to be in JHB for another gig. Straight from OR Tambo to the Blues Room....fun times!

Of course, there were 2 other bands playing at this gig, but honestly I can't really bring myself to talk about it. Lets just say there was so much guitar wank going on it was like being in a room full of men with their dicks in their hands. And not in a good way. Ahem, anyway, let’s just move on to the main event shall we!
Rocka is no doubt the sickest fucker I know, so when I saw the type of people who were at the Blues Room last night, I was a little nervous. All I can say is that people were doing the 'langarm' during the second band...I felt like I was in Boksburg again (another story, another day!) But even though the band started quite late and some of us were starting to lose our sparkle, there was soon a bunch of crazies shaking their asses on the dance floor. I won't lie, of course I was one of them! There is something about The Sick Shop's brand of psychobilly surf rock that just commands you to wiggle your hips and shake your ass. It's great! And even some of the most unlikely contenders seemed to be really getting into it. The mysterious masked Rocka's filthy mouth and lewd lyrics didn't appear to deter even the pensioners in the crowd, and it seemed to me that everyone was loving it. I was a bit disappointed that James Flames did not have his usual double bass, but the sound was still awesome and the chemistry between Rocka, Flames and Boy McLoud is just magical to witness. This is a band that is having so much fun on stage and loving getting away with being their dirty selves. I'll say it again...it's great! I do always feel a little pang of sympathy that poor Boy has to stand for the whole gig but he doesn't seem to mind. Hardcore boys these.

All too soon it was over and we wandered off into the chilly night. But I can console myself with the knowledge that I'll be getting a repeat performance at Burn in a few weeks time, and until then there's always their latest CD, Through Sick and Sin to tide me over. Not a band for the faint hearted, but if you're brave enough you just won't be able to resist falling in love with their music.

No comments: