Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Fire through the Window, The City Bowl Mizers & Martin Rocka and the Sick Shop – Burn, 12.09.07

Even now, almost a week later (yes, yes, I’ve been too busy to write the review), looking at the line up makes me quiver with excitement. I mean, really, it’s not that often that I get to see three of my favourite bands in a row on one night. And like the smart little puppy I occasionally (um, very occasionally) am, I had taken the next day off work so I was all set for a big night out.

Unfortunately, due to logistical difficulties (i.e. no one being ready on time), we missed the beginning of Fire through the Window. Nonetheless, I really enjoyed what I did see and so did every one else I chatted to. The sound was not great, so once again Sinead’s vocals got somewhat lost in the rockier songs, but given the venue and clientele, it was definitely necessary to play these. All in all, I think this is a band that is just going to keep going from strength to strength, with their strong melodies and pretty lyrics. I’ll certainly keep making the effort to watch them.

The City Bowl Mizers have impressed me on the other occasions that I have seen them, and they were once again well-received on Wednesday night. Strangely, they were not as ebullient as when I had seen them previously, which is really part of their charm, and I heard others commenting that they had seemed a bit flat. Nonetheless, they are still a very talented band, and one of my favourites in Durban, so I still enjoyed them. After all, every one is allowed to have an off night, and their off nights are way better than the ‘on’ nights of some of the bands I was forced to endure on the weekend!

Martin Rocka and the Sick Shop are just entirely in a league of their own, both in terms of talent and pure entertainment factor. They played quite late, and it was after all a school night for all those other suckers, so the crowd had dwindled slightly. Those who stuck around were jiving all over the dance floor and yelling along to the lewd lyrics. James was of course once again without his double bass (kinda tricky to fit on a plane when you think about it), but I am starting to come to terms with this deprivation. They all do incredible things with their instruments, but it is the masked filthmonger, Rocka, who raises the temperature of the room exponentially with every vicious stroke of his guitar. Even if rockabilly is not your shot of tequila, there is no escaping the remarkable expertise displayed by this trio and no way of watching them without having a riotously fun time. The best news is that they’ll be back in November.

Besides the incredible performance by the boys of the Sick Shop, the highlight of the night for me was probably watching the boy who had minutes previously mocked my cat facing over shooters, throw his own shooters up all over the floor. Not exactly what you want to look at, but it seemed kind of like justice. Who’s the girl now big boy?! Hah!

No comments: