Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Driverlane & Evolver – The Beach Café, 08.07.07

Yet another afternoon of bands down on the beach, with the sun shining (oh and the gale howling but forget that), and the waves whispering a few metres away. Sigh. Just one more reason Durban is such a great place to live. My friends and I had every intention of watching these bands and making it home in time for supper. Think relaxed, think chilled, think Sunday afternoon vibe. Think we were fooling ourselves since it was a Cuervo party but hey at least we had good intentions.

Driverlane were first up, and I am really enjoying this band more and more each time I watch them. Their sound has matured into something that is more their own, and they have some incredibly catchy songs. Every time I watch them, I end up with Digital Rainbow, the title track from their forthcoming album, stuck in my head for days, which is not necessarily a bad thing. Unfortunately for them, the sound was not great during their set and we couldn’t hear the vocals that well. And they sort of sounded like they were playing in a tin bathtub. Weird. But that’s not their fault, and while they were aware of the sound problems – I think our little hand gestures were quite hard to ignore – they still put a lot of energy into their performance and some of the already well-tequila’d crowd were dancing around and loving it.

The crowd’s animation levels increased exponentially when Evolver took to the stage (and no, I don’t think it was just because they had the tequila bottle on stage with them). This is another really catchy band and Digital Rainbow and Go All the Way have been duelling it out in my head for days now. I’ll let you know who wins. Peter’s voice just oozes sexy and the audience were lapping it up. There were a few souls still suffering after their revelry at the Durban July the night before but the majority of the small audience were on their feet and jumping on command. I don’t think these guys get the credit they deserve for being as good as they are – they don’t have a single song that isn’t fun to listen to while still sounding great. And miraculously the sound had recovered in time for their performance so we could hear every word and note and really enjoy ourselves. They seem really natural on stage, although I have wondered about Peter’s accent, and you can’t help but have a good time when you’re watching this band. Especially when they keep singing the tequila song.

I’m not going to go into detail about how the wheels came off and the home-for-supper plan fell apart. Suffice to say that Spice Gold + no food + tequila swilling designated driver = bad idea which results in ex boyfriend having to extricate you from Joe Cool’s in the middle of the night. Whoops. Bad girl.

No comments: