Friday, January 30, 2009

Arno Carstens & Albert Frost - Casa McMahon, 23.01.09

Anyone who knows me knows that I don’t dream of noble things like an end to poverty or war in the Middle East, or even of things like fame and fortune. I dream of gigs. And especially gigs involving Arno Carstens. But not even in my most soaring flight of fancy could I have concocted the phenomenal show at Mark & Mel’s house on Friday night.

It all started last year at a show at the Zulu Jazz Lounge when one of the people I was there with handed me this flyer for the Levis Vintage Sundays series. Useful to have, I thought, since I always make a point of going to those gigs…and then he pointed out the bit that had caught his eye. Levis were running a competition asking people to review Vintage Sundays gigs and the best review would win a gig at home with one of the artists. I tend to randomly review gigs for no reason other than that I like to write and I love to go to gigs, so I figured there was no harm in entering…I absolutely did not expect to win. Even after Gavin Minter phoned to say I had indeed won and I could indeed have Arno as my artist of choice, I really didn’t think it was happening until the guys rocked up for soundcheck on Friday afternoon (and I quickly had to put my phone on silent since I didn’t think blaring Genie every time my phone rang would be very cool!).

So back to the main event. The garden was dressed up to the nines, with candles and fairy lights flickering everywhere. Around the corner from the party area, Bushmills and Barcode had set up a truly impressive bar which was in no way underutilised. Leggy waitresses magically appeared as each drink finished to make sure there was another at hand….their efficiency was dangerously wonderful. And about 60 of our luckiest friends milled around, sipping on Bushmills cocktails and wondering if this could really be happening. Before Arno took to the stage, it was only fitting that the co-owner of Casa McMahon should get an opportunity to strut his musical stuff, so the evening was kicked off with some pared down numbers by Mark & Brett of The AK Massive. I didn’t get to see all of their set, as the media thing was in full swing at that stage, but what I did see was a soulful blend of Radiohead, Kings of Leon and Johnny Cash. Nice one boys.

And then it was the moment that everyone had been waiting for but couldn’t believe would really arrive. Arno, Albert and Gavin took to the stage and the cameras went mad. It’s impossible to describe just how amazing their set was. They could have just pitched up and gone through the motions but the energy was incredible and every person in that garden was going wild. We started off trying to play it cool and maintain some level of decorum, so those in the front stayed snugly seated on their rugs and cushions, swaying along with the rest of us to the first few songs. The noise level exploded when Arno said “Should we do an impromptu Nude Girls song?” and broke into Little and decorum quickly took a backseat. There was never any chance anyone was going to get me to stay seated so I tried to hang back and stay out of the way of the people in front who were sitting, but when the opening notes of Blue Eyes sounded, everyone erupted and suddenly I found myself catapulted to the front, leaving my shoes behind. If I thought the energy was insane before that, it ratcheted up to an almost unbearable level for the rest of the set. People were singing along so loud during songs like Hole Heart, that I’m amazed Arno could even hear himself think. They played songs off both of Arno’s beautiful solo albums, and did another two Springbok Nude Girls songs. At one point, during Baby Murdered Me, my friend and I had to turn to each other and ask once more if this was really, really happening. We had to hold each other up for a moment or there may have been Beatles style fainting girls in the front row! It was surreal. Albert Frost is criminally talented on the guitar and Gavin Minter keeps it all glued together with his drumming. And Arno Carstens is without doubt the most talented musician this country has ever seen. His lyrics are superb, his vocals searing and his stage presence astounding. Even in a suburban garden with less than a hundred people present, it felt like we were in a stadium packed to capacity. And I’m pretty sure the whole neighbourhood heard our screams.

The guys played for well over an hour, and came back when we begged for more. Eventually we were left, dazed and euphoric, and every person I spoke to said it was the best gig they’d ever been to. The party went on into the small hours of the morning, but we’ll leave those details to the imagination I think. All that’s left to say is thanks to Levis, Bushmills, Arno, Albert and Gavin for what was, unquestionably, the best night of my life. And if the messages that are flooding into my phone and email inbox are anything to go by, I’m not alone in feeling that way. Even Arno and Albert came up to me afterwards and said it was the best gig they’d ever played. Now, I’m sure they say that to all the girls, but in that heady moment, after having watched them hugging and high fiving maniacally ‘backstage’ as the gig finished, I believed them.

No comments: